The Lawrence County Courthouse was designed by Cromwell founder Charles Thompson and built in 1900. After a few deacdes of neglect, the voters of Lawrence County voted to consolidate their two courtrooms into one courthouse and a new courthouse was designed and constructed in 1966. The current building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2015. The roof was performed and it was determined that the roof was well beyond its usable life. Architectural design documents were provided to assist with the reroof.