The Extension was formalized in 1914, with the Smith-Lever Act, and put into action in 2015. It established the partnership between the agricultural colleges and the U.S. Department of Agriculture to provide for cooperative agricultural extension work. Work included in part, performing some form of Extension education for the people of Arkansas. This began the work still being conducted by the Cooperative Extension Service today.
Some of the greatest successes of the Extension occurred during wartime including organizing the Women’s Land Army and the Boys’ Working Reserve during WWI and the Victory Garden Program in WWII.
The Cooperative Extension Service is part of the University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture. With offices in all 75 counties, the faculty and staff provide educational programs and research-based information to the people of Arkansas. From agricultural programs to family financial management to youth education, they offer educational programs that have immediate and practical applications.
Since 1992, Cromwell has been working with the UA Cooperative Extension Service, including designing the headquarters in Little Rock. This facility is located on a 17-acre site and consists of a 70,000 SF three-story office building and a 35,000 SF warehouse. The office building houses offices, 5,000 SF video production/television studio, 200 seat auditorium (3,200 SF) and classrooms. Other work with the Extension include the Lonoke Fish Lab; analysis of the Lonoke campus and estimates for corrective design; and renovations to the first floor of the Headquarters.
Congratulations to the Extension Service and we wish you continued success for the next 100 years!